When we first saw our house, one of the things I really liked was the size of the kitchen. It was quite a bit bigger than every other one we had seen. There were a lot of things I did not like about it though. The paint, the rooster border, the grimy 1980’s cabinets, the fluorescent lighting, the vinyl flooring, the dated appliances, and the beat up faux butcher block counter tops.
However, we knew that everything we had a problem with could be easily remedied with some elbow grease and patience. In the year and a half that we’ve lived here, we’ve tackled several of the issues that plagued the kitchen. Right before Christmas, I decided to take on our countertops.
Unfortunately, new countertops (even laminate) were not in our budget, so I had to get a little creative. My original plan was to do a concrete overlay on our existing countertops. Some of my favorite bloggers like Young House Love, Vintage Revivals, and Little Green Notebook have all used this process with great success. The more I thought about it, though, the less I wanted to put in that much work and create that much of a mess in my house with a small toddler running amuck.
A little more research brought me to Rustoleum’s Countertop Paint. Its very cost effective (only $15!), quick, requires no sealing and comes in a variety of colors. I was sold. I picked up a quart at my local Home Depot and had it tinted to Pewter. While I was there, I also purchased some foam brushes in various sizes and small foam rollers made for smooth surfaces.
Since it requires 3 days to cure, we split it up and did half of the countertops at a time. The prep required is easy and pretty minimal. I scraped off any bits of paint, sanded everything down with 80 grit sandpaper, wiped it down with soapy water and dried it, then taped off the areas I wanted to paint.
I applied one thin coat, waited for the recommended hour and applied the second thin coat. I found that it was easier if I went around the edges and the small or tight spaces with the foam brush first then covered the large areas with the foam roller after that.
The first coat was looking very uneven and not covering well at all so I was a little worried that the second coat wouldn’t offer good coverage. But it totally did! After I was done painting, I removed the painter’s tape and left it alone for 3 days. Then I repeated the whole process on the other half of our countertops.
You do need to open the windows while you’re doing this. The smell isn’t terribly strong, but you wouldn’t want to tackle this project without good ventilation.
We went out of town for several days after that, so all of the paint was left on its own undisturbed to dry and cure. Once we were home and unpacked, I replaced all of our things on the countertops.
We’ve had them painted for about 3 weeks and so far they’re holding up well. It does recommend to use cutting boards and not to place hot pans directly on the countertop. I’ve been babying them a bit along those lines, but with just the everyday wear and tear they’re been fine. Water beads up on the surface and they are really easy to wipe down. I’ve just been using a rag and water or Method Multisurface cleaner.
I could not be happier with how this project turned out. I feel like it really freshened up the kitchen and gave it a much cleaner look. For less than $20 total, it has a huge impact on this space.
Let me know what y’all think of this little kitchen update of ours!