Our master bathroom also functions as the main bath for the first level and as the laundry room. Talk about a multitasking room. When we moved in, it was covered in shelves, hooks, sailboats, and lighthouses. So. Many. Tchotchkes. Add in the dated vanity, faux wood vinyl floors, miles of dark wood trim and almond tub, and you get an idea of how much of a mess the whole room is.
We hosted a birthday bash for our daughter’s first birthday this January and my stress level was elevated a considerable amount trying to not only plan the party, but also getting the house to a good spot of readiness. Part of that included trying to do something with the bathroom since it would be used by guests. My dad, who had been a total lifesaver during the past (almost) year of renovations, helped me remove the border and patch and paint the walls.
To remove the wallpaper border, we used a mixture of hot water and fabric softener, probably a 4 to 1 ratio. We would spray the mixture on, let it set about 15 minutes, then come back and peel and scrape the wallpaper off. After we got started pulling paper off, we realized that there were actually two layers of borders. The top layer was coming off so easy, but the bottom one was practically cemented.
After what seemed like ages, both borders were down and we were finally able to paint. I went with Benjamin Moore’s Palladian Blue. It ended up being a little brighter than I had anticipated, but I think once we get finished with all of the plans we have it’ll be toned down a bit.
Here is what it looks like today.
I added in the small wooden shelf to bring in a little more storage. We also replaced the towel bar and shower curtain rod with oil rubbed bronze ones, as well as swapping the tiny mirror with a large rectangular one. I’m not completely sold on the white shower curtain, but I liked that it was so simple and neutral with all of the other crazy things that were going on in the room. Other than hanging a few pieces of art (the larger print is from World Market about 7 years ago and the small metal people we found at the Nashville Flea Market), not much else has been done. The biggest difference recently has been the lightbulbs I used in the one and only light fixture in the room. After seeing this post on Vintage Revivals, I decided to try out the Reveal bulbs, and they do not disappoint!
I think the next thing I’ll tackle is the bajillion square feet of dark, dated trim and doors. I’m seriously dreading it. But I know that it will lighten and brighten up the room so much, so it’ll be worth it in the end.
I’ll share some of our plans and inspiration for the bathroom soon! Until then, let me know what you think of the small amount of progress we’ve made so far!