Follow along as I finally tackle Ava’s new room, armed with a pink and girly room design and six weeks to complete it!
I said when we moved into our new house that Ava’s room was going to be the first I tackled. She was struggling with the move and the fact that we weren’t going back to our blue house. Then life happened. We settled into our new life here and got busy. Furniture that was perfect for other rooms popped up on our radar. Projects got switched around and somewhere along the way, her room got put on the back burner.
We did make a few small updates, though. She got a new set of Beddy’s that helped her feel more at home in her new bed. We hung a canopy (at her request) and blackout curtains, found a sweet little wooden dresser and a pink waterfall nightstand, and that’s about where it stopped.
So what is finally prompting this much belated makeover, you might ask? I’m excited to announce that I’m finally taking the leap and participating in the One Room Challenge hosted by Linda of Calling it Home and its new media partner, Better Homes and Gardens! The gist of the ORC is you pick one room and give it an entire makeover in six weeks. Crazy, right?! Some people tackle total renovations and some people just do mainly cosmetic makeovers, but all are so amazing to watch as the process unfolds.
Ava’s room is basically a blank slate thanks to all of the builder basic-ness. In this case, thats a good thing. I’m excited to take an uninspired space and transform it with all things girly and pink – two of Ava’s very favorite things!
The design plan: (Some affiliate links are provided. You can read my full disclosure here.)
- Canopy: This was Ava’s number one request for her new room, so I made sure that it got done asap once we moved in. This one is a great price and so cute with the subtle pink ombre!
- Unicorn wall decor: The other day Ava said she wanted a unicorn for her room, so here we are! I think a unicorn fits in nicely with the pink and girly theme.
- Pink hand lettered print: I love all things Anne of Green Gables (Clara’s first nursery was even inspired by it!), and this quote couldn’t fit Ava any better. The girl dances more than she walks.
- Pillow: Another fitting description of our little firecracker. I love the soft pink of the lettering.
- Memo board: This is something I’m hoping to DIY. Ava loves to hang onto mementos and I think she would love having a dedicated spot in her room to display them along with pictures and her own artwork.
- Wallpaper: Ava actually picked this wallpaper out herself and I was so impressed! I think this is just the amount of pizzazz her bland room needs.
- Rug: I’m not totally sold on a rug in her room, or the type of one I’d want, but I do love the look of overdyed vintage rugs. We will see if it ends up making it into the room.
- Paper flowers: Another element I’m going to DIY. I made similar flowers for Ava’s old room and she asked for them again.
Another huge element I’m hoping to add is some much needed closet and toy storage/organization. Her room constantly looks like a Barbie store exploded, and I cannot deal. Hopefully we can come up with a system that works for us both!
So that’s the grand plan! What do y’all think? Its certainly pink and very girly so I think it will fit our Ava just perfectly. I hope you will follow along on this makeover journey with us! Also, head over to check out the other participants in the Fall One Room Challenge – there’s tons of inspiration there!
Like this post? Pin it for later!